The following is a list of projects (showing the project title and the lead PI and institution) funded under the National Oceanographic Partnership Program (NOPP) in FY2007. Discussions on the contractual details of each award were initiated at the appropriate funding agency.
For abstracts of each project and the partners involved, click on the project title.
Topic 4A. Coastal Effects of a Diminished-Ice Arctic Ocean
Funding for these awards was provided by the Office of Naval Research (ONR), the National Science Foundation (NSF), the Minerals Management Service (MMS), and the National Fish and Wildlife Federation (NFWF).
- Episodic Upwelling of Zooplankton within a Bowhead Whale Feeding Area near Barrow, AK
Lead PI: Dr. Carin Ashjian, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
- A Comprehensive Modeling Approach Towards Understanding and Prediction of the Alaskan Coastal System Response to Changes in an Ice diminished Arctic
Lead PI: Dr. Wieslaw Maslowski, Naval Postgraduate School
- Circulation, Cross-Shelf Exchange, Sea Ice, and Marine Mammal Habitats on the Alaskan Beaufort Sea Shelf
Lead PI: Dr. Thomas Weingartner, University of Alaska, Fairbanks
- Toward a predictive model of Arctic coastal retreat in a warming climate, Beaufort Sea, Alaska
Lead PI: Dr. Cameron Wobus, University of Colorado, Boulder
Topic 4B. Marine Mammals
Funding for these awards was provided by the Office of Naval Research (ONR), the National Science Foundation (NSF), the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the Minerals Management Service (MMS), and the National Fish and Wildlife Federation (NFWF).
- Developing the Next Generation Marine Mammal Information Center for Integrated Ocean Observing: OBIS-SEAMAP 2.0
Lead PI: Dr. Patrick Halpin, Duke University
- Mid-Frequency Sonar Interactions with Beaked Whales
Lead PI: Dr. Kenneth G. Foote, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
- The Influence of Oceanographic and Biological Processes on the Distribution of Cetaceans on the West Florida Shelf: A Synoptic Study Based on Underwater and Space-Based Remote Sensing
Lead PI: Dr. David Mann, University of South Florida
- An Ocean Observing System for Large-Scale Monitoring and Mapping of Noise Throughout the Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary
Lead PI: Dr. Christopher Clark, Cornell University
- DECAF – Density Estimation for Cetaceans from passive Acoustic Fixed sensors
Lead PI: Dr. Len Thomas, University of St. Andrews, Scotland
- Acoustic Detection, Behavior, and Habitat Use of Deep-Diving Odontocetes
Lead PI: Dr. Mark Johnson, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
- Climate Change and Baleen Whale Trophic Cascades in West Greenland
Lead PI: Dr. Kristin Laidre, University of Washington