FY2014 Funded Projects
The following is a list of projects (showing the project title and the lead PI and institution) funded under the National Oceanographic Partnership Program (NOPP) in FY2014. Discussions on the contractual details of each award were initiated at the appropriate funding agency.
For abstracts of each project and the partners involved, click on the project title.
Topic 1. Advancing Air-Ocean-Land-Ice Global Coupled Prediction on Emerging Computational Architectures
Funding for these awards is provided by the Navy, Air Force, NOAA, DOE, NASA, and NSF.
- Accelerated Prediction of the Polar Ice and Global Ocean (APPIGO)
Lead PI: Dr. Eric Chassignet, Florida State University
- An Integration and Evaluation Framework for ESPC Coupled Models
Lead PI: Dr. Ben Kirtman, University of Miami, RSMAS
- NPS-NRL-Rice-UIUC Collaboration on Navy Atmosphere-Ocean Coupled Models on Many-Core Computer Architectures
Lead PI: Dr. Lucas Wilcox, Naval Postgraduate School
- RRTMGP: A High-Performance Broadband Radiation Code for the Next Decade
Lead PI: Dr. Eli Mlawer, Atmospheric and Environmental Research, Inc.
Topic 2. Marine Arctic Ecosystem Study (MARES) – Ecosystem Dynamics and Monitoring of the Beaufort Sea: An Integrated Science Approach
Funding for these awards is provided by BOEM, Shell Oil, and other NOPP partners.
- Marine Arctic Ecosystem Study (MARES) – Ecosystem Dynamics and Monitoring of the Beaufort Sea: An Integrated Science Approach
Lead PI: Dr. Francis Wiese, Stantec Consulting Services, Inc.
Funding for these awards is provided by NOAA, NASA, BOEM, and Shell Oil.
- Initiating an Arctic Marine Biodiversity Observing Network (AMBON)
Lead PI: Dr. Katrin Iken, University of Alaska, Fairbanks
- National Marine Sanctuaries as Sentinel Sites for a Demonstration Marine Biodiversity Observation Network
Lead PI: Dr. Frank Muller-Karger, University of South Florida
- Demonstrating an Effective Marine Biodiversity Observation Network in the Santa Barbara ChannelLead PI: Dr. Bob Miller, University of California, Santa Barbara