FY2004 Funded Projects
The following is a list of projects (showing the project title and the lead PI and institution) funded under the National Oceanographic Partnership Program (NOPP) in FY2004. Discussions on the contractual details of each award were initiated at the appropriate funding agency.
For abstracts of each project and the partnerships involved, click on the project title
Funding for these awards was provided by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the Office of Naval Research (ONR), and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).
- Multi-sensor Improved Sea Surface Temperature (MISST) for GODAE
Lead PI: Dr. Chelle Gentemann, Remote Sensing Systems
- U. S. GODAE: Sustained Global Ocean State Estimation for Scientific and Practical Application
Lead PI: Dr. Carl Wunsch, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Surface Circulation Radar Mapping in Alaskan Coastal Waters: Field Study Beaufort Sea and Cook Inlet
Lead PI: Dr. David Musgrave, University of Alaska, Fairbanks
Funding for this award was provided by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and the Office of Naval Research (ONR).
- Acoustics in the Cetaceans’ Environment: A Multimedia Educational Package
Lead PI: Dr. Marc Dantzker, Cornell University
Funding for these awards was provided by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the Office of Naval Research (ONR), and the National Science Foundation (NSF).
- An Integrated Wireless Coastal Communications Network
Lead PI: Dr. Robert Nichols, The Johns Hopkins University
- An Annotated and Federated Digital Library of Marine Mammal Sounds
Lead PI: Dr. Jack Bradbury, Cornell University
- Measuring the Behavior of Beaked Whales and Their Responses to Sound Using a Digital Recording Tag
Lead PI: Drs. Mark Johnson and Peter Tyack, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
- Radar-Based Detection, Tracking and Speciation of Marine Mammals from Ships
Lead PI: Dr. Douglas DeProspo, Arete Associates
- Models of Beaked Whale Hearing and Responses to Underwater Noise
Lead PI: Dr. Darlene Ketten, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
- Standardization of Electrophysiological Measures of Hearing in Marine Mammals
Lead PI: Drs. Colleen Reichmuth Kastak and David Kastak, University of California, Santa Cruz